Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Training on Track

My training is on track and going OK. 2 weeks to go until the event and I'm hoping that I have done enough to get the time I want and beat my brother's time.

Monday was my rest day and I needed it! Just a tad tired after Sunday's 16k run.

Tuesday, I did 6kms of Golf Rd by myself as both my boys were off doing their own thing. It was a good run although was a reminder of how much I dislike running on my own.

On Wednesday, my boys and I went to Crum Park to do some stair climbs. This was the day that my friend arrived from the UK with her hubby and children and so I wanted the exercise to be done as quickly as possible. Josh managed 4 stair climbs and laps of the field, I managed 10 stair climbs and Luke did 11 stair climbs.

By Thursday my training was supposed to be a 5km run and with Barry but we changed the plan to add a bit of mileage. We ran around the block and cut short Godley Rd to turn down Taupo, which is a tad hilly! Onwards and upwards we continued and headed in the direction of Crum park where we went our separate ways. Barry went on to do some stair climbs at Crum Park while I headed home, feeling too tired to tackle the hills. Plus, I didn't want to over do my training at this stage. I have remained injury free and hope to stay that way. I ran home and mapped the run. We covered at least 8kms.

On Friday I took a day off and on Saturday, Philomen, Sharon and I started off from Mt Eden Village to do our usual mountains, Mt Smart, Mt Hobson and Mt Eden and I tried to run up the hills. I did OK until the last one at Mt Eden and so I feel there is a slight improvement. Patience is a virtue! Another good catch up with the ladies and we cut our time down to 1hr 5mins. We were happy with that.

Sunday, I met Barry for the long run. It is so hard to pick yourself up for those long runs but it has to be done. Barry planned the route and I was running blind with no idea which direction he would lead me on. Thankfully, we stuck to familiar territory and ran around Titirangi, Green Bay and New Lynn. We were going well although VERY thirsty but we carried on until we found a tap to drink from at New Lynn. The run was cut short at 13kms but then I had to run home and so we covered just under 15kms all up, assuming I measured it correctly.

I don't know what to expect for this half marathon. I have stuck to the program as much as possible and added exercise rather than missed any but I'm not feeling any fitter. I have lost weight and toned up a bit, I guess.

According to the regular speed that I am running so far, it looks as though I will not get the time I'm hoping for but then there is still 2 weeks to go. I have to stay positive and keep chipping away at the program...


Post a Comment