Tuesday, February 2, 2010

3 Teams v 7 Mountains

Since it was a Public Holiday on Monday we decided to put off our weekend team training session and go out on Monday night instead. This time we (Shayne's team - The Cougar Hunter Party and my team - The 4 Cougars) were joined by a chap from another team. He trained with the boys 2 years ago and has decided to get into it again this year.

We left New Market at 5:10pm with a view of doing the 5 mountains that we have done recently, Mt Hobson, Mt St Johns, Three Kings, One Tree Hill and Mt Eden but if we were good for time we thought we'd try Mt Roskill and Mt Albert too.

Mt Roskill was easy as we went up the road and so the incline wasn't too bad but onto Mt Albert and up a side track, boy, my legs were burning when we reached the top. This was a new experience for me and my introduction to Mt Albert, it went on for ever. There was a chap sitting up there having some quiet time watching out over Auckland. By this time the lights were starting to come on and the city was looking mighty pretty.

We managed all 7 peaks in just over 4 hours and covered approx 24.2kms. It was a good training session and although I had a little pull in one of my muscles it seemed to come right over time which was a relief.

Next team training session will be on Wednesday and I believe we are going to climb Mt Eden 5 or 6 times up and down the different tracks that are available. I went out today for a small walk just to test my muscles but all is good so far.

This team training is for a good cause, folks. I have entered the OXFAM Trailwalker 2010 for the 3rd year in a row and this is to be my last. Please hit the link: OXFAM TRAILWALKER for more info.

For those in NZ that may be interested in putting a team together that is keen to join us in the OXFAM appeal trailwalker, 100kms in 36hours, there is still time to register. The funds raised from the event will support Oxfam New Zealand's humanitarian, development and advocacy work to lift some of the world's poorest people out of poverty. Just hit the link above.

When I first heard about it I thought 100kms was way out of my worldly limits, but believe me, it is achievable! All walks of life from all different levels of fitness and abilities participate, all with a common goal of helping others.

For those overseas that have expressed interest in helping us, Shayne's team has registered now and so hit his team's link above to help him raise the funds that he needs to for the OXFAM appeal. My team should be registered soon and I'll add my link when available. Apologies for the delay in getting our info on-line and thank you in advance for your help. As they say, every penny/euro helps! Oh and thank you for all the emails of encouragement, I really appreciate them! xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment