Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Blisters!

The Cathay Pacific half marathon that I was supposed to do but was cancelled due to the tsunami, turned out to be worth my while entering as I won a spot prize: An Asics gear bag, a voucher for $220 for Asics running shoes, a voucher for $36 for Thorlo socks, a fitness analyses voucher and some kind of food supplement.

I spent the Thorlo voucher on the weekend and thought I'd try the socks for my training walk. Having used Thorlos before, I didn't think I'd have a problem. 15 minutes in to my 42km hike with my buddies, I felt that burning sensation under my left heel, and soon after, my right heel. I knew that I was to walk the rest of the way with discomfort.

We hiked from New Lynn into town, along the water front for about 6ks and then back into the city, down K Rd all the way to Avondale where we stopped for coffee and a bite to eat. We rested there for approx 20mins and then headed for home. My legs were SO stiff and sore after sitting for the break and it took a while to get back into it but we made it home.

We managed 42kms in 6 hours and so we're still walking at 7kms per hour. Very happy with this albeit the BIG blisters on my heels and blood blister on my little toe. It is not good to have blisters this close to the event and I have a good mind to write a strongly worded letter to Thorlo about how the blister-free comfort and protection socks did not help on this occasion! However, perhaps I should have washed them first and so will give them the 30 day trial period before I take it any further...

All in all, with just under 3 weeks left until event day, we are going well and I believe we are still quicker that Shayne's team and so here's hoping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment